Rheumatoid arthritis is a common type of arthritis which still baffle scientists. In this disease, the patient gets swelling in the joints of bones and pain starts in the joints. A careful diet plan for Rheumatoid Arthritis can reduce the suffering of patients.
Ageing and unhealthy food are suspected to cause rheumatoid arthritis (arthritis). It is observed that the rheumatoid arthritis is more common in women mostly occurring after the age of 40. Also, persistently high levels of uric acid in the body triggers Rheumatoid arthritis.
Foods to take in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Grains: old rice (because rice grains are more dried and dehydrated), wheat, barley.
- Lentils: Arhar (pigeon peas), Moong(mung bean), Masoor Dal(red lentil).
- Fruits and vegetables: apple, papaya, drumstick, Tinda(Indian round gourd), parwal(pointed guard), lauki(bottle guard), cucumber, bitter gourd.
- Other: Bitter foods like celery, ginger, fennel, asafetida, black salt, oil, lukewarm water, black pepper, rock salt, coriander, garlic, cumin, ghee, castor oil, lukewarm water, creamless milk, buttermilk, Punarnava (Punarnava homoeopathy medicine).
Foods to Avoid in Arthritis Disease
A Rheumatoid Arthritis (arthritis) must refrain from these food items
- Grain: New rice, Maida (refined wheat).
- Lentils: Kala chana (black chickpeas), Kabuli chana (garbanzo beans), chana(chickpea), peas.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Potatoes and other root vegetables, mustard vegetables, ladyfinger, Arabic.
- Others: Yoghurt, fish, jaggery, milk, excess salt, cold drinks, food infected with fungus, impure water, cold food, chilled water, dry vegetable, fried and hard-to-digest food.
- Strictly Avoid – Oily spicy food, pickles, excess oil in food, increased salt cold drinks, foods prepared from refined flour, alcohol, fast foods, soft drinks, junk food, canned foods, non-vegetarian soups.
A Suggested Diet Plan for Arthritis
- Wake up in the morning and drink 1 glass of lukewarm water on an empty stomach before cleaning your teeth.
- Take Amla i.e. Indian Gooseberry and Aloe Vera juice before breakfast.
Let us find out a diet chart plan that is effective in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 1 Cup low-fat milk tea/coffee
- 2-3 multigrain Biscuit / Poha / Upma (semolina) / Oatmeal (Namkeen) / Sprouted grains / 2 thin rotis (Patanjali mixed grain flour) + 1 bowl Vegetable / Fruit Salad (Banana , Apple, papaya)
- 1 or 2 thin Rotis
- 1 bowl green vegetables (boiled) + 1 bowl dal moong (thin) + 1 plate salad.
- Any low-fat Beverage
- 2 biscuits / Vegetable Soup.
- 1 or 2 thin Rotis
- 1 bowl fibrous green vegetables + 1 bowl dal moong (thin)
30 minutes before bedtime
Take 0-15 ml castor oil with 1 cup milk / lukewarm water.
In Arthritis your focus should be to
- Prevent injury of the organs.
- Keep your body moving by exercising.
- Losing or Regulating weight
- Less stretching.
Things to keep in mind in rheumatoid arthritis:
- Practice meditation and yoga daily.
- Must have a fresh and warm meal.
- Eat slowly in a quiet place with a calm, positive and happy mind.
- Eat three to four times.
- Not give up a meal at any time although avoid excessive food.
- Fasting once a week.
- Chew the food properly and eat slowly.
- Wake up early preferably before sunrise.
- Brush your teeth two times daily.
- Do a tongue cleaning every day.
- Take a walk for 3-5 minutes after having a meal.
- Do not stay awake until very late at night.