High blood pressure or hypertension is regarded as a disease of the modern age. Faulty style of living and various stresses in today’s fast life can be made the culprit. It is also called the silent killer as mild and moderate hypertension may not produce any symptoms for years.
Arteries carry blood which supplies nourishment and oxygen to every cell of the body. The force exerted by the heart as it pumps the blood into large arteries creates a pressure within them which is called blood pressure. When this pressure exceeds the normal limit it is called hypertension or high blood pressure.
common symptoms of High blood pressure
Pain towards the back of head and neck on walking. It generally occurs in the morning and disappears soon.
· Emotional upset
· Pain in the arms, shoulder region, leg and back.
Causes of High Blood Pressure
A sedentary life style, smoking and too much alcohol consumption, drug side effect, a narrow kidney artery can cause hypertension. It tends to run in families .Diabetes, obesity, an adrenal gland disorder and pregnancy increases the risk of developing hypertension .Some researchers believe that constant stress may play a role in developing hypertension.
Dietary changes that help lower blood pressure
· Avoid processed foods that are loaded with sodium. Adding extra salt, consuming pickled foods are also not a good choice. Low sodium food has been proved beneficial especially for older people and diabetics
· Keep an eye on your weight to keep your blood pressure normal. Losing excess weight can help bringing your blood pressure to normal limit.
· Choose lean cuts of meat, low fat dairy products, and low fat cooking methods and avoid butter, margarine .High fat diet increase body weight, may contribute to high blood pressure. So make every effort to stay away from them.
· Studies show that moderate amount of wine or other alcoholic drink may reduce the chance of a heart attack consuming too much may increase the risk of high blood pressure. Caffeine intake also increases the risk.
· Mineral intake also affects blood pressure .Potassium found in fruits and vegetables, dairy products and legumes helps ensure normal blood pressure. Calcium deficiency has been linked to high blood pressure. Consuming figs, broccoli, and yogurt can help.
· Some studies claim that consuming garlic may lower blood pressure.
Life style changes that help
· Give up smoking, too much alcohol
· After doctors advice you can try aerobic exercise which makes your heart work more efficiently.
· Stress may have a long term effect. Try yoga meditation and other relaxation techniques to keep yourself away from stress
· Avoid self medication. Some medicines can raise blood pressure.
Patient suffering from hypertension should take at least eight hours of restful sleep and avoid worries, anger and haste.