Can yoga asanas really detox the liver? You will be surprised, but it is true!
In fact, selected yoga asanas stimulate your liver by applying the right amount of pressure even curing fatty liver issues.
Likewise, practising of these spinal twist yoga poses discussed below has shown magical benefits to even liver cirrhosis like diseases.
How long does it take to see results from these yoga asanas?
Coupled with the low-fat diet regime, the positive result show in just 3 weeks!
Conversely, even you do not suffer from any liver-related ailment, it is always beneficial to have a healthy liver because this vital organ controls the body’s metabolic functions and immune system.
We will discuss these yoga poses that help us to detoxify the liver helping it to function at its best.
- #1 Bow Pose (Dhanur Asana)
- #2 Cow Pose (Gomukh Asana)
- #3 Kapalbhati Pranayama (Control Of Breath)
- #4 Ardha Matsayedrasana (Lord Of the Fishes)
- #5 Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
- #6 Marjariasansa (Cat stretch)
- #7 Naukasansa (Boat pose)
Best Yoga Asanas for a healthy liver
- 1 Best Yoga Asanas for a healthy liver
- 1.1 #1 Bow Pose (Dhanur Asana)
- 1.2 #2 Cow Pose (Gomukh Asana)
- 1.3 #3 Kapalbhati Pranayama
- 1.4 #4 Ardha Matsayedrasana
- 1.5 #5 Bhujangasana(cobra pose)
- 1.6 #6 Marjariasansa(cat stretch)
- 1.7 #7 Naukasansa(boat pose)
#1 Bow Pose (Dhanur Asana)
While performing this yoga asana, shape the body looks like bow-shaped. Hence it is also known as Bow Pose.
Dhanurasana can do wonders for people suffering from fatty liver disease. This is one of the best yoga asanas for a healthy liver.
Other Health Benefits: The asana stimulates and strengthens the liver to utilize its stored fat for delivering energy to the body. The yoga exercise also helps to reduce belly fat and strengthens abdominal organs.
How to do Dhanurasana?
To do this asana,
- Lie down on your stomach and then gradually grab the knees of the ankles with your hands moving the feet upwards.
- In this way, your body looks bow-shaped.
- Now, try to raise your head and thighs upwards as per your stamina.
- Try to remain in this posture, as long as you can.
#2 Cow Pose (Gomukh Asana)
Gomukhasan Yoga is also known as cow pose. It is one of the best postures for the natural treatment of liver cirrhosis.
When you are suffering from liver cirrhosis, the oxygen and blood flow is stopped by the scar in the tissue. In this condition, the liver becomes unable to remove toxic substances and disease-causing bacterias.
Other Health Benefits: By practising this asana, the metabolism increases in the liver ensuring un-obstructed oxygen and blood flow through it.
How to do Gomukhasana Yoga?
- Place left leg ankle below the right buttocks of the left foot and place the right foot below the left thigh.
- Keep the knees above each other.
- Then, slowly move the left hand behind your back.
- And, move the right hand behind the back of the right shoulder.
- Bind the hands together behind your back.
- Keep your spinal cord and neck straight in this yoga asana.
#3 Kapalbhati Pranayama
Pranayam is an inhalation yoga practice which promotes liver health of people suffering from liver cirrhosis, jaundice, hepatitis and other diseases.
Especially, Kapalbhati Pranayam – one of the 8 basic types of pranayama, is a highly suggested yoga asana for liver strengthening and related diseases by the practitioners. As a matter of fact, the Skull Shining Breathing Exercise or Kapalbhati Pranayam exercise effectively stimulates the liver and cures the fatty liver problem.
Other Health Benefits: This is an established yoga technique to improves blood circulation for the whole body, thereby, keeping you healthy.
How to do Kapalalbhati Pranayama ?
- For meditation sit on a yoga mat and close your eyes.
- You need to breathe in deeply and breathe out deeply through your nose.
- When carrying out this breathing action, pull your stomach inwards and outward every second.
#4 Ardha Matsayedrasana
Ardha Matsayedrasana puts pressure on the liver which in turn stimulates the liver. This asana is considered to be extremely beneficial for the liver.
Other Health Benefits: It enhancing the flexibility of the spinal cord and increase the supply of oxygen to the lungs. Also, it enhances blood circulation in the Pelvic region improving the function of reproductive organs.
How to do Ardha Matsayedrasana ?
- Sit on the ground and spread both of your feet forward.
- Turn the left foot in such a way that the heel is touching the edge of your thighs.
- Then, place your right foot near the left knee on the ground.
- Place the left arm on the right knee and hold the right foot’s toes with the left hand.
#5 Bhujangasana(cobra pose)
Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose is beneficial back-bending yoga for fatty liver patients. One of the most easy yoga asana – the Bhujangasana, helps improve blood flow throughout the body. Make sure to perform this asana on an empty stomach in the morning.
Caution: Pregnant women, hernia and back injury patients should avoid this asana.
How to do Bhujangasana
- Lie down with face bending towards the ground
- Place your palms beneath your respective shoulders
- Putting your weight on the upper body, inhale and, slowly raise your chest towards the roof
- Keep your neck in a firm position.
Duration: hold this pose for 15 to 30 seconds, repeat 4-5 times
#6 Marjariasansa(cat stretch)
Marjariasans or cat stretch is another very effective yoga asana for the liver which aids in the production of bile juice in the liver. The back stretching asana is also beneficial to the spine and belly organs.
Caution: Pregnant women, neck and knee injury patients should stay away from this asana.
How to do Marjariasans?
- Kneel on all fours like a table
- Place hands directly beneath your shoulders and knees beneath your hips.
- Centre your head with eyes looking at the floor (cat pose).
- Begin to exhale and release your head toward the ceiling (cow pose).
- As you exhale, make your spine curved towards the ceiling.
Duration: Remain in cat pose and cow pose for 10 seconds. Repeat asana 5-6 times.
#7 Naukasansa(boat pose)
Naukasana is yet another yoga for liver health. The Boat Pose or Naukasana also strengthens belly organs and removes constipation.
By stimulating and strengthening your liver, this yoga asana especially benefits in liver cirrhosis and fatty liver. Additionally, the Boat Pose yoga asana benefits in removing harmful toxins from your body.
Caution: Women undergoing periods, Hypertensive/Hypotensive patients, people with heart disease and bone diseases should not do this asana.
- Lie on your back on the ground
- Resting on your buttocks, raise your upper and lower part of the body looking somewhat like V (boat) shape.
- Maintain this position for as long as you can.
- Return to relaxed position for some moment and continue.
Duration: Practice this asana for 3 times in one session. It should be practised in the morning with an empty stomach.
Lifebing is driven by an unrelenting passion for promoting health and well-being, our team is wholly committed to curating exceptional content and immersive experiences.