All of us want to adopt a healthy life style and the first step is to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Oral health has been given importance because overall health is connected with oral health. The mouth is the window to the body.
Various diseases leave their first sign on your mouth and a dentist can easily spot it. Studies have successfully established a close link between poor oral hygiene and cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and pregnancy related issues.Oral bacteria can contribute to clot formation in heart blood vessels leading to a heart attack.
People suffering from diabetes are more prone to gum diseases (periodontal disease) as diabetics are more susceptible to infections. So to control and prevent oral problems blood glucose level should be maintained at normal level.According to recent studies, bacteria found in throat and mouth can travel into lungs and cause infections and worsen lung condition.Periodontal disease can also affect women’s health especially during pregnancy. Higher risk of premature baby is found in them as periodontal disease triggers increased level of biological fluids.
People, especially women suffering from osteoporosis, characterized by decreased bone density and weakened bone can easily be detected by a dentist in early stage by spotting some typical signs such as loose teeth, severe gum disease and difficulty in speech or eating.
Dietary help for good oral health
Everyone knows that healthy diet is good for entire body but we cannot escape from starchy and sugary foods. At list limit you intake and brush after eating them to minimize bacterial growth that increases tooth decay. Consume lots of calcium containing food such as low fat dairy products, fortified soy and rice beverage, almonds and dark green leafy vegetables.
Vitamin D found in milk, fortified soy, fatty fish and moderate exposure to sun is required by us to absorb calcium, so keep these things in your diet. Consumption of calcium, fluoride as well as Intake of minerals such as phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin A is also helpful in building strong bones and teeth.Including apples in your diet help foster your dental health. Apples are called ‘natures tooth brush’ Because eating apples stimulate the gum, increases saliva flow, and reduce germ buildup.
4 Hygiene habits that can help in good oral health
- Brush your teeth twice daily placing the bristles at 45degree angle along your gum line for at least 3-5 minutes cleaning as much area as possible. Back of your mouth should also be cleaned as much as possible.
- People think that brushing twice their teeth make their oral health complete but remember teeth are just 25% of our mouth. Do not forget remaining 75%unclean. The unclean area would be a breeding ground for the germs. Cleaning mouth with essential oil based mouth wash reduces plaque by 70% and gum problems also get reduced by 36%.
- Little space between teeth is occupied by small food particles so floss regularly to keep them away.
- Regular visits to a dentist can reduce our teeth and gum problems. See dentist once in six month and get your teeth cleaned at least once in a year
Teeth are an amazing balance of form and function. Majority of people suffering from oral problems such as bad breathe, tooth decay, and gum problems can easily control their problems by simply following above steps known as ideal oral care regime recommended by dentists.
We know that a gentle smile can create magic and win battles so gift yourself a better smile and keep smiling.
Lifebing is driven by an unrelenting passion for promoting health and well-being, our team is wholly committed to curating exceptional content and immersive experiences.