Despite its odd name, onion tea does exist, and is prepared with onions and other components. If you love drinking tea, then you might want to try it if you haven’t had before. Onions are packed with amazing health benefits, and when made into tea, they will be even more powerful! Here are some of the onion tea benefits in health.
The benfits of onion tea in health
The tea has been used as an herbal remedy for centuries. It is known to help with conditions such as arthritis, muscle aches, and chronic bladder infections.With the natural anti-inflammatory properties of onions and the antibacterial properties of honey, this recipe can be beneficial in curing many ailments that may arise throughout one’s lifetime.
While this caffeine free herbal tea may not cure every ailment, it has been deemed beneficial for those who suffer from chronic problems like asthma, arthritis and prostatitis.
Top Onion tea Benefits :
Onion tea is often consumed in colder months when there is a constant need for staying warm. This homemade tea especially benefits the respiratory system because it increases the flow of mucus to expel bacteria and congestion from the airways.
- It is especially beneficial during the winter season, when you are suffering from a cold, to drink onion tea.
- Quercetin, found in onions, helps to lower cholesterol levels and keep your heart healthy by promoting antioxidant activity.
- Diabetes sufferers might also benefit greatly from onion tea.
- Onion tea helps to maintain digestive health by preventing problems such as indigestion, constipation, bloating, and other digestive issues.
- Drinking onion tea everyday improves sleep. It’s a good idea for people who have trouble sleeping to drink onion tea before they go to sleep.
What types of onions should we use ?
Choosing the right onion for your onion tea can depend on a variety of factors. It is important to consider if you are looking for an onion to help relieve coughs or are just looking for a general health supplement. While all onions have their own unique flavors, there are some that are better suited for different onion tea. For example, red onions tend to be sweeter in the form of tea than white ones. Onions also vary in size; small shallots are more delicate than large Spanish onions and is considered better in terms of beverage.
How can we prepare it?
The most common way to prepare onion tea is by boiling chunks of raw white onion in water along with bay leaves and cloves with some salt for 10 minutes. Then you simply strain the onions out and drink the remaining liquid. To sweeten up the beverage you can add honey to it.
Alternatively, the herbal beverage can be brewed by boiling an entire onion and cloves of garlic with ginger and cinnamon sticks in water and, optionally, adding honey for sweetness.
Ingredients : 1 chopped onion , 2-3 garlic cloves , 1 or 2 teaspoons of honey, 2 cups water and some Bay leaves and cloves
Process of making onion tea :
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and, onion pieces, over high heat.
- Once the water and onion has to a boil, give it a good stir.
- After that, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- While the tea is simmering, add sqaushed garlic to the pan.
- Then, add the bay leaves and cloves to the boiling beverage.
- When finished, the tea should have a yellowsih tint to it. Shift the tea into a cup and add the honey and to taste.
- For an added taste you may consider adding lemon to it.
- Enjoy when you’ve stirred it up.
Can you drink onion tea every day ?
You can safely consume the tea prepared from onion daily for optimum health and vigour. Be sure, the basic ingredient – onion – is present in all variations!
Nutritional facts of beverage
Despite being low in calories, onion tea is nutrient-dense food, which means that it is abundant in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin B-6, and manganese, as well as other minerals. In addition, the herbal beverage includes trace levels of calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, as well as the antioxidants quercetin and sulphur, among other nutrients.
Is it safe to drink ?
Onion’s tea is quite safe to consume and offer minimal dangers to those who consume them. But, in some cases, it may cause an allergic reaction or intolerance in certain people. Anyone who has a response after consuming them should seek medical assistance as soon as possible.
We don’t lie, it doesn’t taste nice, but who cares? It’s onion juice with honey. But one thing is certain when we think about instant onion tea benefits: it fastly relieves cough related to seasonal allergies.