Kidneys are filtering plant for purifying the blood. The prime function of this bean-shaped is to eliminate water and salt from the blood which is passed into the bladder in the form of urine.
Why Kidney diseases occur?
The formation of stones in the kidneys, urinary tract or another kidney disease, which may be a primary condition such as kidney stones or consequence of other disorder like diabetes, hypertension or atherosclerosis.
Who is prone to kidney disorders?
- Older men due to enlargement of the prostate susceptible to kidney infections.
- Pregnant women and diabetics are also vulnerable to infections of the urinary tract.
- The drug side-effects also cause kidney disorder, for example, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and calcium with Vitamin D supplements are some drugs that can cause harm.
Kidney stones, Nephritis and kidney failures are some common kidney problems commonly felt by people all over the world.Did you know?
What are Kidney Stones?
When a kidney begins to function improperly, the filtering of impurities from the blood gets affected. The crystalline minerals which otherwise removed through urination begin to accumulate in the body. Gradually, crystals stick together to form stones. This happens because of structural or metabolic abnormality, increased uric acid or gout.
Effects of Kidney Stones
Due to stone formation, any part of the urinary system could be blocked causing intense pain. Most kidney stones are formed of calcium oxalate on calcium phosphate, sometimes from uric acid crystals and infrequently cysteine stone are formed due to metabolic disease.
If your kidney problem is serious clinical dietitian may be recommended by your doctor to plan your diet.
If you are a healthy person then do not wait for problems to aggravate.
How to Keep your kidney healthy?
To keep kidney healthy and problems under a check –
- Consume a low-fat diet having fruits and vegetables and starchy foods.
- Drink sufficient water is the best.
- If you want to drink another beverage fresh lemonade sweetened with the sugar is also very good. That is because the Citric acid in lemons decreases calcium exertion from wine.
- Do not avoid dietary calcium intake as failing it could weaken your bones. If your doctor recommends it then you can do it.
- Stick to vegetarian diet reducing protein intake by not eating animal products can reduce the risk of recurrence of stone in some people.
Although a more study is required to understand the connection between stones and protein intake, more often a strict vegetarian diet has less chance to develop kidney stones.
Calcium phosphate stones are formed in some people consuming phosphates rich foods. Change your dietary intake of these essential minerals in doctors or dieticians guidance.
Low Purine diet helps
Uric acid stones are formed in people with gout.
A low purine diet can reduce the risk.
Foods high in osculate should be taken in moderation. Take the help of a doctor or dietician to guide you about the foods to be avoided during kidney diseases.
Nephritis aka Inflammation of the kidneys
Inflammation of the kidneys is also a result of bacterial infections or a side effect of drugs.
However, in kidney infection drinking plenty of fluid is beneficial. Cranberry juice is also helpful in preventing the recurrence of urinary tract infections.
To prevent kidney failure – restricting phosphorus, potassium, proteins and salts intake is advocated by health specialists. Monitoring the diet by a specialist dietician is a must who keeps a check on the amount of nutrition including vita or mineral supplements.
Lifebing is driven by an unrelenting passion for promoting health and well-being, our team is wholly committed to curating exceptional content and immersive experiences.