It is a basic human right to be loved and nurtured but mostly patients of Alzheimer’s disease are confined to a room in their houses. This neuro degenerative disorder associated with dementia could make anybody the victim. They could be anybody from your family, so before treating them with medicines they should be treated with love and care. Let us know how to avoid Alzheimer and learn its possible causes.
What is Alzheimer’s disease?
Alzheimer is the most common form of dementia.26 million people worldwide has this dementia. It is a serious brain disorder that affects patient’s daily life through memory loss and cognitive changes.
Who are vulnerable?
One in ten persons over 65 years of age and over half of those over 85 suffer from the disease. The disease can also occur in younger people in their thirties but less frequently.
Signs and symptoms
- Placing important things at odd places regularly, for example placing car keys in the fridge.
- Patient forgets name of family members and common objects.
- The sufferer forgets entire conversation frequently.
- A patient of Alzheimer is often lost in familiar places.
- Managing check books and solving problems becomes tough for patient.
Causes of Alzheimer’s disease remain unknown but chromosomal and genetic factors may be responsible for some cases. Increased cases among persons having Down’s syndrome seem to support this theory. Hormonal factors and thyroid disorders have also been linked to this disease.
Is aluminum the culprit?
Although aluminum deposits have been found in the brain tissue of patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, studies have failed to prove that aluminum actually causes the disease. Some studies suggest that the metal may not cause the disease, its increased concentration in the Alzheimer’s brain worsen the condition.
- Some studies found that people 65 and older who had fish once in a week had a 60% lower risk of Alzheimer’s than those who did not eat fish.
- The role of folic acid is being studied by researchers. Leafy green vegetables, orange juice, liver, cooked beans, corn, asparagus, lentil, nuts, peas, enriched breads and cereals are some common sources of folic acid.
- Vitamin B6 and B12 are also found to help lower the risk.
- Top sources of How to avoid Alzheimer are meat, fish poultry, whole grains, avocados bananas, potatoes and leafy greens.
- Vitamin B12 is found in lean meat, fish poultry and dairy products. You can say that what is good for your heart is good for the brain also.
- Low levels of DHA (an omega 3 fatty acid) is linked to age related dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. Fatty fishes such as salmon, mackerel, halibut and sardines are some sources of omega3fatty acids.
- Eggs, soybean and soy products should be taken to get lecithin and choline.
- Antioxidants may prevent the disease.
- Avoid alcohol
- Stop taking antacid with aluminum.
- Stay away from cooking in aluminum utensils.
Cure & Care
In Alzheimer’s disease chemical and structural changes in the brain slowly destroy the ability to create, remember, learn, reason, and relate to others, hence proper care of patient should be taken. Food should be nutritional. The patient may forget to eat or eat only his favorite foods. They may need to be spoon fed if they have difficulty feeding themselves.
Keeping these things in mind accept a patient of Alzheimer’s disease and be a part of the crusade against this neurodegenerative disease.
Lifebing is driven by an unrelenting passion for promoting health and well-being, our team is wholly committed to curating exceptional content and immersive experiences.