Minimizing your eye strain can be accomplished through two major ways.You should have a preventive approach i.e. ensure that it does not happen in the first place and taking care to relive the strain if it occurs.
There are many ways through which you can prevent your eyes from getting strained and stay away from early occurrence of major eye problems.
It boils down to reduction of the stress that your eyes may go through while you are actively using them.
You must make a conscious effort to find out what are those elements that are causing fatigue for your eyes and then try to reduce such strenuous activities.
Role of PC/Smartphones in Eye Strain
Are you by any chance staring at computers or your smart phones for long durations of time?
Make it a point to take a break after every 30 minutes or so that your eyes can be protected from the glares cause by such screens. If there is a right lighting level, that can also go a long way for helping your eyes.
Are Your Eyes Strained ?
So what are those tell-tale signs that will tell you that your eyes are getting tired?
If your eyes are over-strained, you may undergo achy and tired eyes or headaches quite frequently. You may even notice that your eyes feel tired after a long day’s work or the end of a tiring day.
These are symptoms that indicate that your eyes are strained after focusing on a computer screen or on small objects. If you don’t take proper care of your eyes, your eyes may get worse and you have to visit an ophthalmologist for a thorough eye examination.
Here are 5 quick tips for relief from eye strain.
Tips to Reduce Eye Strain
- Create and apply a soothing eye mask: Such an eye mask can actually cause great relief from eye strain.
For example, you can run cold and sterile water on a small hand towel and then fit them over your eyes.
Make sure that you have wrung the water out of this towel completely and then fold it to cover your eyes properly.Let the towel cover your eyes for about 2 to 7 minutes while you lie down.
This process can be repeated as many times as you want to.
- Your lighting system can be changed: Switch off extra lights, lights that feel harsh on your eyes and florescent light bulbs.
These are those lights that can make your eyes more difficult to adjust.
Exposure to such lighting system for longer duration may over stimulate both your body and eyes. This in turn can result in overall fatigue and increase in irritability.
Your lighting environment can be made soothing and comfortable by changing your existing bulbs and going for softer varieties. Use of dimmer switches for adjusting the lighting level can be personalized by your family members.
- Adjusting the contrast, glare and brightness of your monitor: In case you study or work for long time periods sitting in front of a screen or a computer monitor, ensure that the screen is not very close to your eyes. You can adjust the screen’s settings for contrast and its brightness till you can view the screen comfortably. There are some sites that can even help you in making these screen adjustments.
Your screen’s sides should have the brightest light. Any harsh light emitting form the device should be angled at 90 degree with respect to the monitor so that the likelihood of harsh light hitting your eyes can be reduced. You can also minimize glare on your monitor by drawing the blinds and curtains.
- Adjusting the color on screen: The color should be apt for the lighting of your ambience.
Bluish lights should be avoided as they can cause fatigue to your eyes excessively as your eyes constantly adjust to match the blue light.
Rather, you should ensure that the lighting in the room is similar to that of the computer screen.
You must select soft lights with restricted natural light.
- Gently massage your eyes: In order to reduce your eye strain, massage your eyelids in a gentle manner on a daily basis.
The massage improves blood circulation in your eyes and also relaxes the muscles that are located around your eyes.It also stimulates your tear glands thus helping the prevention of dry eyes.